Executive Officers, Constitution, Procedures
2016-2017 Executive Board
|Student Trustees – Meegan Smith, Kaylee Smith, Samantha Moore|
2016-2017 Committee Chairpersons
Our Committees are what keep the Alumni Association thriving!
Membership – Mickey Reed
Fundraising – Open (send us an email if you would like to fill this position)
Student Relations (Scholarships) – Open (send us an email if you would like to fill this position)
Alumni Relations – Lisa Beins-McCaig
Hall of Fame – Phyllis Boehm and Edd Bankowski
Mentoring – Open (send us an email if you would like to fill this position)
If you are interested in Co-Chairing or joining one of these committees, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Bedford High School Alumni Association
Constitution & By-Laws
(Revised July 2016)
The name of the organization shall be the Bedford High School Alumni Association.
The mission of the Bedford High School Alumni Association (“Association” or “Organization”) shall be to support the educational mission of Bedford Public Schools and to enhance the alumni experience by providing pertinent information to graduates and other interested parties and by promoting community throughout the Mule Nation.
Membership will be available to all graduates of Bedford High School as well as any other interested individual who has a shared interest in the mission & purpose of the Assocation.
All applications for membership will be reviewed by the membership committee and recommendation for approval/disapproval will be forwarded to the Executive Board (“Board”). The Board reserves the right to deny or revoke membership for individual(s) it deems have acted in a manner detrimental to the mission of the Association and/or Bedford Public Schools.
Dues, if any, shall be established by the Executive Board and voted upon at a regularly scheduled meeting.
Article IV: Fiscal Year
The fiscal year for the Association shall run September 1-August 31 each year.
Article V: Officers
The following officers shall be elected by members present at the final meeting of the Association of each fiscal year (August):
- Vice President
- Trustee (2)
No officer shall serve in one position on the Executive Board for more than four (4) consecutive years; however, officers are eligible to serve in other positions or to serve non-consecutive terms.
In case of a vacancy in the middle of a term, the Board has the authority to appoint an individual to fill a term until the next regular election.
Article VI: Committees
The Association shall consist of the following standing committees:
- Student Relations (Scholarships)
- Alumni Relations
- Hall of Fame
- Special Projects (As deemed necessary by the Board)
- Any other committee deemed necessary and created by the Board
Each committee shall be chaired by members in good standing of the Alumni Association and appointed by the Board.
Article VII: Political Affiliations/Endorsements
The Bedford High School Alumni Association shall not endorse any candidate, cause, or committee which is or may be up for public referendum. Furthermore, the Association shall not accept monetary or in-kind support from any candidate, cause or committee. No officer shall publicly or privately endorse any candidate, cause, or committee in their official Alumni Association capacity.
Article VIII: Authority/Meetings
The rules contained in Robert’s Rules of Order; Revised shall govern the Association when they do not conflict with the Constitution and/or By-Laws of the Association.
The President will schedule regular business meetings at a time and location to be announced 30-days in advance. The President will publish an agenda for this meeting no less than seven (7) days prior to the meeting. Each regular meeting will allow opportunity for public commentary as deemed appropriate by the President. Meetings will be governed by Robert’s Rules of Order; Revised. The Executive Board may vote by simple majority to enter Executive Session for any reason the Board deems necessary.
A quorum for voting to take place at a business meeting shall consist of a majority of the duly elected Executive Board members being present. Voting rights shall be extended to all members in good standing of the Bedford High School Alumni Association. “Members in good standing” shall be recommended for approval by the Membership Committee to the General Meeting during a regular business session.
Article IX: Communications
The President serves as the official spokesperson for the Alumni Association and may delegate correspondence or communications to other members of the Executive Board at his/her own discretion. The Vice President shall monitor the Association’s social media pages and website and reserves the right to edit, add, or remove content from social media pages and/or the Association’s website as he/she deems appropriate.
No member has the authority to speak on behalf of the Alumni Association without the expressed permission of the President and all press releases, social media posts, or posts to the Association’s website must be cleared by the President before publishing.
Article X: Finances
The Treasurer and President shall serve as check signors for the Alumni Association. The Treasurer shall provide a detailed financial report at each regular meeting of the Executive Board and make all financial records available for audit upon request. All requests for payment or reimbursement must be presented to the Treasurer who shall recommend approval/disapproval to the Executive Board at the next scheduled meeting. The Board reserves the right to approve or deny any request for payment or reimbursement based upon the nature of the expenditure.
Article XI: Amendments
The Constitution and By-Laws may be amended at the recommendation of the Executive Board by a vote of ¾ of the members present at a regularly scheduled meeting.
Alumni Association Procedures and Responsibilities
(Revised August 2015)
Responsibilities of Alumni Association Executive Board of Directors:
- Will be the official spokesman for the Alumni Association
- Will prepare the Agenda for all meetings and provide a copy to the Alumni Association secretary at least a week before the scheduled meeting so the secretary can notify the other officers and the membership.
- Will preside over all meetings.
- Will serve in the capacity of President if necessary.
- Will be in charge of Brick Donations (see separate procedure sheet)
- Will be responsible for writing thank you letters for all donations to the Association.
- Will be responsible for all deposits and payments for the Association.
- Will pick up all mail on a weekly basis from the mailbox at the BPS Administration office.
- The treasurer will leave mail in an envelope marked for the President, Vice President or Secretary.
- Will be responsible for all accounting procedures for the Association.
- Will prepare financial reports for each membership meeting.
- Will be responsible for recording the minutes of all meetings and provide those minutes at the next Association meeting.
- Will make available the meeting agenda to all officers and members at least one week before all meetings.
- Will be responsible for all correspondence that is delegated to her/him by the President.
- Will assist the other officers by serving on the “Board of Directors” The Board of Directors will establish objectives, policies and procedures for the Association.